Insurance for surveyors

CLEAR arrange professional indemnity insurance for surveyors and valuers plus a full range of other valuable insurance covers. Whether you’re a sole practitioner or work for a large firm, our team can help you find the right insurance policy or package for your business.

Our highly knowledgeable professional services team fully understand RICS insurance requirements and offer surveyors and valuers insurance protection that best suits their needs. What’s more, we’re a Lloyd’s broker, giving us direct access to a unique pool of underwriting expertise in the Lloyd’s global marketplace (the world’s largest specialist insurance market).

Which insurance covers do CLEAR provide for surveyors?

What our customers have to say

What you need to know

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions we receive about our insurance products for your farm.

Which type of surveyor do you insure?
We can arrange insurance for all types of surveyor including property managers, building surveyors and quantity surveyors.
What is the right level of cover?
Professional indemnity insurance will provide cover the cost of compensation and legal defence costs if your client sues you for negligence. In some cases, your customer will specify a minimum level of cover.

A good starting point is to assess what your largest loss could be if you made a mistake on a project or contract which resulted in a claim for negligence. You should carefully review this area with your insurance broker to ensure that you have an adequate level of cover in place

What does it mean if my cover is on a ‘claims made’ basis?
Professional Indemnity is underwritten on what is known as a ‘claims made' basis. This means that the insurance policy will only provide cover for incidents that are discovered and notified to the Insurers during the period of insurance.
What is a ‘retroactive date’?
Your professional indemnity insurance policy will provide cover for professional advice you have given in previous years, but this will often limited to a retroactive date.

A retroactive date is the date from which the insurance policy will cover you for the work you have undertaken. For example, a live Professional Indemnity policy with a retroactive date of 1st January 2005, will cover the cost of claims which arise out of work undertaken on or after 1st January 2005. Work carried out prior to this date is excluded.

If no retroactive date is shown in your documentation or if it is noted as ‘none’, then you’ll be covered for work that you have undertaken previously (provided the work falls within the scope of activities declared to Insurers).

What is ‘run-off’ cover?
If you decide to close your company or retire, claims could still arise for work you undertook in the past. So, it’s important to be aware that if you want your professional indemnity insurance to continue protecting you, you can buy ‘run off’ cover.

If you don’t have professional indemnity insurance in place at the time a claim is made, then you could face unexpected financial loss. For this reason, many insurance professionals recommend that a minimum of six years' run off cover should be arranged.

Speak to a specialist, Stewart Ruffles, to arrange your insurance cover.

Call 020 7280 3479 or email